Correct behaviour when encountering cows – for a pleasant hiking experience in any situation.
Encountering cows on alpine pastures
Guidelines for the correct behaviour:
- Do not leave hiking trails on alpine pastures!
- Please keep your dog under control and on a leash!
- Walk calmly and without attracting attention past the animals in safe distance (20 - 50 metres).
- Do not startle the animals and do not look the animals directly in the eyes.
- Leave the animals alone and do not touch them. Never touch calves!
- Watch out for threatening gestures of the animals: lowering the head, pawing the ground, lowering, snorting.
- When the animals approach: keep calm, don’t turn your back and leave the alpine pasture slowly!
- Take your dog off the leash immediately when an attack by an animal is imminent.
- Don’t wave around with the stick. In an absolute emergency, strike the cow’s nose with a stick.
Location and how to find us
The Nassfeld-Pressegger See holiday region lies in the Austrian province of Carinthia, directly next to the Italian border.